Friday, July 5, 2013

1 more week!

Well, in exactly one week, I will be on a plane, heading to Germany! As I get closer to this date, my excitement for this trip continues to grow. Since coming home from college, I've kept busy being a delegate for my church at General Assembly, a short stint as a knife salesman, and most recently, a trip with my family to Amish country. It's been fun, but now I start a new, exciting adventure.
First, a little about the program. This is an engineering study abroad program, run through Calvin College. I will be in Berlin with 34 other sophomore and junior engineering students from Calvin. Next Monday, we begin our program with a week of Statics and Dynamics (a required class for my engineering degree) up in Grand Rapids. We leave for Germany next Friday evening and will spend five weeks finishing up Statics and Dynamics, as well as taking a German Culture Course. The engineering course is taught by Calvin engineering professors, and the German course is taught by a professor at the Technical University of Berlin. We will be in class Monday to Thursday, giving us Friday through Sunday to explore the city of Berlin and the country of Germany. We will be taking a few group trips. I know for sure of plans to go to Wittenburg and Heidelberg, and a concentration camp called Sachsenhausen. My friend Landon ( a fellow engineering student and cross country teammate) and I are also planning on running a race on August 10 in Berlin. We've been working through the registration, which has been a bit of an experience, considering our meager at best German. But, I think we've got it all set up and will be racing 10 kilometers through the streets of Berlin. My goal is to give a weekly or semi-weekly update on what we are doing as a group and what I notice while I am in Europe. This is my first time in another country other than my couple of trips to Mexico so I am excited to experience an entirely new culture.
I think that is all for now. I leave to go up to Grand Rapids tomorrow, so I would appreciate prayers for my journey as well as the group as a whole that we may come together and grow close together as brothers and sisters in Christ. Thank you all and I will hopefully get another post up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment